Momservation: If you think hangovers are for adults who partied too hard, you haven’t seen a kid wiped out after a crazy fun 4th of July weekend.
☺ ☺ ☺
In our house there’s a rule that you can’t complain about being fun-tired. No one has any sympathy for someone who’s exhausted from the act of recreation, leisure, playing, or partying.
Came back from Disneyland and you’re wiped out? Sorry, no whiners. Fun tired.
Had a sleep-over, ate too much, and stayed up all night? Quit complaining. Fun tired.
Brought the kids to the beach for the day and you’re drained? Suck it up. Fun tired.
So, for the record, I’m not whining, complaining or looking for sympathy. I am tired, cranky, wiped out and ready for bed – but I’m owning it. I did this to myself:
– Had our annual Hubby’s bday/pre-4th of July party complete with a pool full of kids ages 8 months to 14 years, BBQ, games and fireworks show at dusk. Fell into bed with a smile on my face
– Climbed out of bed the next morning trying to think festive thoughts for the neighborhood 4th of July of parade followed by games at the park. Narrowly lost the 3-legged race with my son. Dragged ourselves home wilting in the heat but we were still on a homemade rootbeer high.
– Moved on to a friend’s pool party and BBQ. Almost fell asleep in my chair toward the end, but I was smiling on the inside.
– Left there to go catch the big fireworks show at the river. At this point my kids we’re fading, complaining about the hike, carrying their chairs, how much further and I finally snapped, “Fine! You Negative Nelly’s can drop your chairs right here, but I’m going to watch the fireworks show up ahead with an unobstructed view and I’m going to have a good time!” I also reminded them that I had the mosquito spray and it was coming with me.
– Today is Hubby’s actual birthday and we are trying hard to make it a special day, but honestly, we’re all gassed. We decided to give him a nap for his birthday and try it out with him. When we wake up we’ll sing a feeble Happy Birthday, shovel in some cake and then stagger back to bed.
But I’m not complaining. No siree bob. Had a great, fun-filled 4th of July weekend. But I just might lose control of all bodily functions if I have to do anything else for a few days.